Kapor Capital Is Hiring!
We are currently searching for a qualified Partner to join our team. Please take a look at the description and qualifications below. If you feel you are a good fit, we encourage you to apply.
Location: Oakland, CA
Type: Full-Time, salaried position with benefits
Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland that invests in seed stage information technology companies for economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to, education, financial inclusion, employment, and justice. The firm has more than 100 companies in its portfolio, including LendUp, Genius Plaza, Pigeonly, Honor, Managed by Q, Clever and Atipica.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Partner to join the investment team. The Partner will help run day-to-day operations of the fund and help manage the team. This role will be expected to bring relevant experience and thinking to our discussions about the evolution of our fund thesis, composition and structure. The Partner will report to the Managing Partner at Kapor Capital. Candidates should have both some kind of tech sector investment experience and work experience in the tech sector itself.
The most important qualifications are: evidence of past results in working with diverse teams; good judgment about people, strategy, and technology; and an orientation toward business which demonstrates commitment to closing gaps of access, opportunity, or outcome for underserved communities. These factors matter more than specific past positions, employers or educational credentials. You thrive on collaboration and in a communal environment.
- Evaluate opportunities for investment, assess investment risks, analyze financial data, and perform business and investment valuation
- Co-lead and join the team on new investments and existing portfolio companies
- Perform deal analysis and recommendations for follow-on investments in existing portfolio companies
- Proactively source high quality new investment opportunities that fit our investment criteria of gap-closing for low income communities and/or communities of color
- Manage due diligence process, write investment memos and assist with investment execution
- Screen entrepreneurs’ pitch decks, conduct interviews with entrepreneurs, help Partners and investment staff with due diligence
- Understand and lead the full investment life-cycle from due diligence, close process, pre and post funding support to Series A funding
- Support portfolio companies on issues related to forming a diverse and inclusive organization
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, clients, financing orgs, lawyers and non-profits
- Manage and provide mentorship to members of the investment team along with defining the fund thesis
- Develop and deliver presentations on new investment industries and fund performance to fund partners, portfolio companies and clients
- Identify areas of inefficiencies at the firm and suggest improvements (e.g. diligence process, deal sourcing)
- Evaluate opportunities for Kapor Capital sponsorship of conferences, meetups, incubators/accelerators, etc in collaboration with Kapor Center
- All employees are expected to make a meaningful effort to support mission-related organizations by volunteering in local community events (e.g, Brothers Code, Hackathons, or SMASH events)
- Representing the Kapor Capital brand at both tech and investment conferences and in the press
We value “distance traveled”. The challenges and obstacles you have overcome in life and work matter more than credentials. What you have accomplished in the world of startups and technology and the path you traveled to get there matters more than a degree or work experience in a particular role or with specific employers.
- Knowledge of the tech sector, especially startups, including products, trends, investors, general understanding of the ecosystem.
- Exceptional analytical ability. Must be able to analyze data effectively, interpret results, and extract data-driven insights.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, including strong judgment about people, that that you can listen, understand and communicate effectively in a wide variety of contexts.
- Evidence of your passion about helping entrepreneurs succeed, particularly underrepresented ones, and you define success as a matter of impact, not financial outcome alone.
- Experience working with, and perhaps leading, diverse teams.
- An aptitude for making investment decisions.
Nice to have:
- Prior tech sector investing experience of some kind: angel investing, venture capital, equity fund management, or finance
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or Computer Science or equivalent knowledge gained through real-world experience. An MBA or Law degree is a plus.
- Work experience in negotiating and closing transactions on the business or legal side
- You will have ownership of your projects, and be expected to manage these projects from start to finish.
- Interact with VCs, entrepreneurs, and social change agents.
- Learn about education, health care, consumer finance, people ops, justice and the other industries in which we invest.
We offer competitive compensation and health benefits package. Our team members are encouraged to volunteer and are given 4 paid volunteer days a year.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on “protected categories,” Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.